Friday, November 15, 2013

The World Food Championships - Practice Practice Practice!

I found a sponsor company who prefers to remain anonymous. ok. I cant really figure out why they want to be anonymous, but they do, so we'll leave it at that. They agreed to pay for my hotel and airfare, and after a lot of emails back and forth we had a contract signed and my airfare and hotel booked. I would be staying at The Golden Nugget, arriving on the night of the 5th and leaving on the 11th. 
I needed to Practice my signature dish, which is that grilled pico burger, and also create what the WFC calls a structured build. This is a burger that the WFC wants you to create according to guidelines. Each catagory had a different set of guidelines. For burgers we had to create a patty melt using a sponsor product, and TNT beef patty. This is my first attempt at a patty melt:
So. Yeah . It came out, ok burned the bread a little but I just didn't like it. I don't like fried rye bread. I don't like yucky frozen beef patties on my grilled cheese, and while I do like caramelized onions, I dont like them on my burger. I needed a new plan! 
So into the picture steps my darling friend, Linda. A JAP friend, a FB Foodie friend and an inspiration! She was also going to the WFC, qualified in two different catagories even! She talked me off the ledge! She helped me develop a plan for a new burger, if you dont like what you're making, make something NEW! I was inspired by her Cinco De Mayo Burger, shown on JAP:



I really loved the idea of this burger! It embraces my new life in Texas, while also filling the bill of the structured build. It was a patty, and a melt, but it was NOT a traditional patty melt! She used a corn tortilla and quacamole on her creation, but I wanted to use flour tortillas, since I make them often, and add an extra kick with my peach salsa. This was what I came up with; Quesadilla Patty Melt:



So during the month of October I made this dish about 3 times a week, tortillas, salsa, guacamole, and grilled frozen beef patties (ew). My family is so sick of burgers right now.... 











No comments:

Post a Comment