Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Pretzel Day

So yeah, I'm from New Jersey but I live in Texas. There are so many things that I can say about that. The way each place effects me, directs me, defines me. Like how much I miss New Jersey Food.. 
All along the Jersey Shore there are boardwalk restaurants and walk-up eateries that sell pizza, funnel cakes, ice cream, fudge and salt-water taffy, and chocolate covered bacon! Yes! Bacon! nom nom!
Up north there are bakeries in every town. Italian bakeries, Russian, Portuguese, and Greek bakeries that sell pastries and cookies and pies that no other state can fully understand.... Except New York, which is like the parent to New Jersey and the place from which most Jerseyites came from. 
(If you're from NJ and NOT from NY please recognize your neighbor Tony)

In New York they're making the mother pizza! The first Napoleon of the New World!  The REAL Coney 
And...
(music please🎶) 

PRETZELS! 

So this brings me to another thing I miss about New Jersey is New York. You can get a real pretzel there and "there" is 1650 miles away. 
And so, we learned to make pretzels. 



And we made more pretzels


And then we gave some as gifts and they were a big hit.

 We tried different types of toppings like pizza seasoned, rosemary, seasalt and cracked black pepper, cheese pretzels, pretzel rods, pretzel bites, and holy crap PRETZEL ROLLS!! Honey mustard dipping sauce, honey butter and cheese queso dips! 


So one day I decide to declare Pretzel Day and make a whole meal out of pretzels. I made these rolls, which are super-addictive. They're a wonderfully authentic (boiled not steamed) recipe from my friend Wendy from the recipe club, Just A Pinch. Here is a link to her recipe:

http://m.justapinch.com/recipes/bread/savory-bread/pretzel-dinner-rolls.html?p=1

I hope you will give it a shot! 

After the rolls I tried my hand at pretzel  Crusted Chicken


This was a delicious hit, and left overs turned into Pretzel Crusted Chicken Breast Sandwiches on a Pretzel Roll with Honey Mustard AND Honey Butter.

Kill me now.


These were rated "Yes Please" at my house so I will share the recipe.

Pretzel Crusted Chicken 

Trim and season chicken Breast with salt and pepper.
Brush with light coating of honey mustard, then dredge in flour.
Dip into egg, then roll in crushed pretzels. For a yummy flair try Snyder's of Hanover, Honey Mustard and Onion, Pretzel Pieces. Just crush em' up in a plastic Baggie. 
Then bake them on a greased cookie sheet for 20 minutes at 325 then 20 minutes at 425. 

For honey mustard and honey butter I just mixed to taste. You can too, it will be great! 

So that's how we did Pretzel Day! Oh. I forgot.. That I also threw together some pretzel Burgers. 
Of course ;-) 


Yes. I made that. It's a seasoned and pan fried 80/20 burger topped with cheddar cheese, grilled onions and honey mustard on a pretzel roll smeared with honey butter. 

I miss New York Pretzels but I think it's gonna be ok.  

1 comment: