Sunday, March 16, 2014

Jersey Girl Grilled Meatballs


Ok, I was going to save this post for a special, St Patricks Day Treat, but I am getting threats of violence and possibly death by drowning in Sunday Gravy if I don't   share right away, so here is my fantastic recipe for Grilled meatballs. 

  I created this recipe as part of my never-ending effort to bring my 2 cultures of New Jersey and Texas together. My meatball recipe is a typical Italian American version, that's the Jersey part. The Texas part is throwing them on the grill. This gives them a crunchy, flame grilled flavor! They're simply fantastic!

~first, start with this~ 


Italian seasoning

1 tsp red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons oregano
1 tablespoon sage
1 tablespoon marjoram
1 tablespoon rosemary
1 tablespoon dried minced onion
1 tablespoon dried minced garlic
Grind for 5 to 10 seconds in blender

 


~~then make this~~

Grind artisan bread in blender for 10 to 15 seconds until course. I used my own pizza bread.


~~next, make meatballs~~



Grilled Meatballs

1  1/2 lb ground beef 85/15
1/2 lb ground pork or Italian sausage
1  1/2 cups plus 1/2 cup Panko or homemade breadcrumbs
2 eggs
2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Mixed until combined then form into balls.


Roll each ball in remaining breadcrumbs




Spray grill heavily with grill spray
Set grill to 550, close lid
Allow grates to heat thoroughly
Place meatballs directly on grill, lower heat to 275, cook with open lid for 5 minutes, close lid. Cook for another 10 minutes, flip and cook another 7 to 12 minutes until firm.



*sorry, no pics of grilling. It was raining and super windy outside! *


Yumm! So delicious and crunchy! 


I'll tell you a secret. Shhhh! Technically,
I'm way more Irish than Italian but I'm not fond of Irish food. 
~~Happy St Patrick's Day! 

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful recipe Helene. Meatballs are actually my favorite food:)

    ReplyDelete